Sunday, August 17, 2014

MM1: Maia and Blige



More characters from my Might and Magic I party. Sorry about the poor scan quality.

The first sketch is of my dwarven cleric Maia (named after the daughter of Atlas from Greek mythology). I specifically wanted to give her an unusual appearance, so I basically jumped forward a few games and used Might and Magic 3 for inspiration; her bizarre headpiece and slender stature are meant to be reminiscent of Terran dwarves. I also referenced Katsuya Terada for many other details of her costume; I particularly wanted to suggest connections to the game's sci-fi underpinnings, so Terada's industrial-influenced designs seemed like a great fit. Somehow she also wound up with Terra Branford's tights.

The gnome Blige was my party's robber; he's named for an NPC from Demon's Souls. (Pretty much all of my early parties have a Souls namesake tucked in there.) Most of the inspiration for his costume actually came from the second Black Adder series, which I happened to be watching at the time.

Here are their character sheets from the end of the game. I forgot to check these before drawing them, so I messed up a lot of details. I drew Maia in splint mail rather than chain, and Blige is completely missing his shield. Whoops.




No comments: