Saturday, September 6, 2008

Grudemathing Force, part 3

I could have just as easily called this entry "Purple is Stupid," but I'm a stickler for consistency in titles.

But there it is. I'm finding purple really difficult to paint, so allow me a little bit of antipathy in return. Seriously, even Albert Munsell, who famously invented color in the 19th century, admitted that purple is a really dumb color and he was totally phoning it in when he came up with it. True fact.*

So maybe setting the final Opposing Force sketch during the final battle against the suspiciously Shoggoth-like Gene Worm was a bit rash, given the fact that the boss is effectively anchored to an enormous pulsating purple portal. 

All of this is a rather long way of saying I wasn't too happy with this installment's sketch. But at least I kicked it out the door in time. And I made an effort to reduce the impending eye-burn with a bit of color adjustment and copious application of sloppy texture brushes.



My chance for redemption will come next week when the Grudemath rolls on with Blue Shift, which follows security guard Barney Calhoun's escape from the Black Mesa facility. Don't forget to watch if you can!

*Completely untrue.

No comments: