Friday, February 21, 2014

The Domovoi: The Assault



The Domovoi, a Twine game by Kevin Snow, has been released. Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be posting my art and sketches from the game. If you haven't checked it out yet, please go take a look -- it's free and short!

In one of the story's final branches, the soldier -- incensed by the domovoi's refusal of his offer -- savagely beats him with a hammer. It's one of the most harrowing and disturbing scenes in the game, in which the themes of violence and abuse are brought to the forefront.



Concept artwork. The commission notes called for a sequence of illustrations showing the effects of the violence on the domovoi. Kevin originally suggested a focus around the mouth and beard, but I also tried a variant showing more of the shoulders and head (albeit mostly covered in shadow). Ultimately we decided to go with the close focus.

I wanted the violence to have a sense of physical impact, so I focused on the domovoi's motion as much as the soldier's brutality. I admit that I had a lot of trepidation going into this set, but despite the sobering subject matter, it ended up being very interesting to work out visually -- I spent a lot of time trying to coordinate details between each "frame" of the series.


No comments: