Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Domovoi: The Storyteller



The Domovoi, a Twine game by Kevin Snow, has been released. Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be posting my art and sketches from the game. If you haven't checked it out yet, please go take a look -- it's free and short!

The storyteller is probably one of the most important characters in The Domovoi; all the other characters, after all, are her invention. The commission, though, simply called for her hands resting upon a table. The intent was to show the scene from the player's point of view and give a sense of participation from the very beginning. The player has been invited into the storyteller's home to share a glass of vodka and help her craft her latest tale.


Once again, Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land was one of the direct inspirations for this illustration. Specifically, I had the game's tavern screen in mind. I wanted to capture the same kind of warm, convivial air -- a deliberate contrast to the cold, drab color palette used in most of the other illustrations.




Concept artwork for the storyteller. I played around with the idea of showing different moods through the gestures of the hand. In the end, though, we only went with one variation.



Final. Through most of the game, the storyteller's hands are shown serenely clasped upon the table. I took a photo reference to help me get the hands right.

It might be a little difficult to tell, but there's a tablecloth on the surface. I struggled for a bit with trying to draw a hand-stitched pattern on the tablecloth, but I couldn't quite get it to read convincingly. At Kevin's suggestion, I settled for just drawing a few folds and seams.


Final. This version appears if the storyteller is insulted by your suggestions.

No comments: