Friday, February 21, 2014

The Domovoi: The Window



The Domovoi, a Twine game by Kevin Snow, has been released. Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be posting my art and sketches from the game. If you haven't checked it out yet, please go take a look -- it's free and short!

The window is the final illustration from the main narrative of The Domovoi. It's a very calm, very quiet sort of drawing (a much-needed contrast to the violence that precedes it), but it also alludes to the transformation that has been wrought upon the domovoi.


First concept artwork, and proof that first ideas sometimes aren't the best. My first mental image was of the bruised and battered domovoi silhouetted in the light cast by the window, but I got more and more uncomfortable as I drew the sketch (even more so than when I actually drew the assault series). Kevin seconded my unease -- I guess we were both uncertain about the possible connotations of this portrayal of the domovoi. In the end, we made the right choice and left him out of the frame.



A second concept sketch, in which I played around with a low-angle shot.


The final illustration, in which I tried for the atmosphere and lighting of the first concept sketch with the low angle of the second. I think this was my fastest turnaround in the whole project; I'm unreasonably proud of how quickly I painted that bucket.

Two detail notes on this one. The spiderweb seen to the right of the window will be intact or torn depending on choices made previously in the story. I also screwed up on the floor, which was originally supposed to be dirt. I guess I was so used to painting wood grain by this point that I stuck in floorboards without even thinking about it. Luckily, Kevin liked it and changed his script to accommodate my gaffe... sorry and thanks!

No comments: